Today I had to move a Debian based Nessus installation on a physical Machine to a virtual one. After a bit of head scratching I came up with a method. I could not find much on the internet so here is a guide:
1.Connect to the server you want to copy from. I used Filezilla with secure copy
- Install Nessus on the new machine but don’t start the service
- Ensure the Nessus instance is stopped
- Copy the entire /opt/nessus directory and overwrite it
- Start Nessus
- If you get a error about global.db being corrupted follow the on screen instructions to fix it
- Release your activation number if applicable in the Nessus Support Portal.
- Run the following: /opt/nessus/sbin/nessuscli fix –reset
- Run the following: /opt/nessus/sbin/nessuscli fix –register
activation key here
- Finally start the Nessus Service
- Login like normal with the same username and password as you had set previously.
You will find your entire installation will have been copied over and your license restored.